chimaeras ABOUND

Internal banter on ART, FEMINISM, POSTHUMANISM, IDENTITY and "INSANITY".
oh and cyborgs.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blog Against Sexism Day: We are damaged by dualism.


There are so many issues that could be discussed and need to be discussed pertaining to sexism but what really comes to mind for me right now is my own struggle to analyze and understand society's heteronormative, patriarchal indoctrination imposed on us humans to be one or other (eg. girl/boy, man/woman, homo/hetero, natural/unnatural, masculine/feminine, not white/white). This idea can easily be expanded into Donna Harraway's discussions on Dualism in the "Cyborg Manifesto" which also addresses other important dualisms like mind/body, reality/appearance, whole/part, truth/illusion. In fact, in the most succinct sentence in the entire work she easily reveals why dualisms are damaging and incomplete representations: "One is too few, but two are too many." ("To be One is to be autonomous, to be powerful, to be God; but to be One is to an illusion and so to be involved in a dialectic of apocalypse with the other. Yet to be other is to be multiple, without clear boundary, frayed, insubstantial.")

These divisions reveal spaces which cannot be filled and create desires which can never be experienced/fulfilled. Why would we choose to create a world/society in which it is nearly impossible to be whole?

I feel that this construction is the very root of sexism (and most if not all other social problems). Until we can find a way to stop alienating the parts of ourselves which do not fit within these enslaving dualisms we cannot expect us as individuals to stop fearing the other in whatever form it manifests itself.


I'll use myself as an example to represent just how damaging a dualistic socialization can be:

Within the last six months I realized that I am very afraid of my "masculinity" as a female (discovering this is helping me realize that I have been socialized to believe that intelligence is a male asset hence masculine).

I am very curious about how I internalized this because I grew up in a rather liberal (however, EXTREMELY emotionally abusive) household.

I never felt I had to mask my intelligence growing up but I am now coming to understand that subconsciously I was performing my femininity... and my displays of intelligence were just to appear safely smart, non-threatening to my other male and female colleagues. I was not self-aware. I lived fearing that I was not feminine enough, praising my feminine thoughts/acts and condemning my masculine ones. The more I came to self-awareness, I started to realize that I equate my independent thoughts as masculine because it is very difficult for me to comprehend a world where women are capable/allowed to think independently (especially if they choose not to constantly strive to attain this deranged beauty ideal which requires constant, neverending maintenance and self-scrutiny) .

I know this is Wrong. I am slowly (very slowly) changing my perceptions about how I am allowed to see myself as a "woman". Honestly, the more I see that word the more I want to kill it. I feel like I can never live up to it (and I shame myself because of my feelings of inadequacy) but WHY do I even want to? The 'female ideal' was created by a patriarchy which does not embrace me as a whole person. I am damaged by society's attempts to avoid being whole, by "Man's" fears and denial of their own femininity. The masculine/feminine dualism is so dangerous because it requires us to kill/repress/deny parts of ourselves, to think we are bad/wrong and to make us feel shamed and shame others.


All quotes are from Donna Harraway's "A Cyborg Manifesto", the text is available online for free. If you haven't read it, I cannot recommend it enough.

4 Comments:

Blogger Canton said...

"Within the last six months I realized that I am very afraid of my "masculinity" as a female (discovering this is helping me realize that I have been socialized to believe that intelligence is a male asset hence masculine)."

Funny. I've come to realize that, well, I've been afraid of my "femininity" as a female. This probably stems from my early youth. I grew up in the country, on a small farm. Still live there, actually (I'm only 23, and slow about leaving the nest). Neighbors are spread out, of course, and most of the kids my age, that my brother and I played with, were boys. In elementary school, my best friend was a girl, but I played on a co-ed outdoor soccer team mostly made up of boys. And never understood the whole "cootie" thing. There was a certain need to be "one of the guys."

Farming, too. I'd actively participate in "guy" things, such as haying: driving the tractor, that sort of thing, moving bails, etc...

Even now... Even now, it's kind of true. Just a couple weeks ago, I bought a romance comic, and felt the insane need to be defensive about it. "Yeah, I know, I'm a girl and I'm buying a romance comic." My fear has been not being "masculine" enough. The irony, of course, is that both our fears probably stem from similar roots.

No more apologies.

March 09, 2006 7:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Easily the most interesting post I've read this week and that includes my own. My only commment is that I happen to quite like dualism because themes art can then be reduced to sex and death. Change is a constant, status quo an illusion so isn't the world just an on going cycle of creation and distruction?

http://judaspenrose.blogspot.com

March 09, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger karen leslie said...

canton-

I also wanted to be "not one of those girls" when I was in high school, but in the group that I hung out with (most were boys) I was very aware of my femaleness, I look back and I see that I was intensely sexualized.

I agree that our fears are parallel. I've spent a lot of time being afraid of/rejecting my femininity in the past too and somewhere along the line I regressed in a sense, I didn't want to feel 'seperate' anymore, but in trying to be like everyone else I completely stifled my ability for independant thought and somehow started to equate what felt 'wrong' or 'different' as masculinity. I like the theory that all people are equal parts masculine and feminine, if we could create a social structure that embraced this idea I think a lot of social problems could be alleviated. But, it is a pretty optimistic theory, maybe more optimistic than I can be.

March 09, 2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Ragnell said...

I equated intelligence with Masculinity too. And intelligence is probably the trait I value the most. That's why I always made an effort, growing up, to root out the "feminine things" because I thoguht they were signs of stupidity.

March 19, 2006 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home