chimaeras ABOUND

Internal banter on ART, FEMINISM, POSTHUMANISM, IDENTITY and "INSANITY".
oh and cyborgs.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Vegan Lunches for Little Ones?

I should start this post out by saying that I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian but I do not eat DAIRY or RED MEATS because of a health condition which requires very strict eating habits. Not 'being able' to eat dairy or red meat I end up eating a lot of vegan and vegetarian foods and I definetely have a great respect for those who eat that way for ethical reasons. I am always looking for yummy non-dairy recipes and by accident I found a blog called Vegan Lunch Box. This adorably obsessive blog (and I say that with utmost love) showcases the vegan lunches a Mom makes for her child. I wish someone would send me off to school each day with these awesome lunches.

p.s. Does anybody know the health implications of raising a child vegan or vegetarian? I wonder if I would feel like I would be depriving my child in later life to make the choice for themself. hmm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dark Daughta said...

I started out not wanting my four year old to be indoctrinated into carnivore culture like I had been. I'm still a meat eater, but am aware of how the meat producers are oppressors of other species, one of the tangible manifestations of our insane belief that humans are superior to all life on the planet. So, I decided to not start her taste buds on meat. But I started to feel guilty as she was always small for her age and I was already bucking dominant childrearing culture by having done only breast for probably over a year or more. So, when I started introducing solids, I worried about her becoming anemic like I am and decided to start giving her some meat. I gave in to the whole you'll be healthier if you eat meat line. So, I can't be of much help to you on this question.

My own question:
would you like to exchange links?

February 28, 2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger karen leslie said...

absolutely!
i'll put you up right now.

I agree that it is really hard to reconcile meat-eating with the knowledge of the meat producers as oppressor. Unfortunately, I also have health issues that I feel are benefitted by eating a little meat protein but I'm definetly not really into it the act of eating meat like some people. And actually the older I get the less appetizing I find it.

February 28, 2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home